Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
International students perform in the Gracie Theatre

F-1 Visa Information

International Initiiatives

International students who wish to attend Husson University will need to obtain an F-1 Visa. F-1 designates education, non-immigrant status. To apply for an F-1 Visa, complete the following steps. To stay organized, put all of your information in a folder and make a copy of every document!

To exit your home country:

  • Apply for a passport. This may take several weeks or longer so plan ahead. If you have a passport, be sure that the expiration date is no later than six months after you plan to enter the US.
  • Ask if there may be other required documents that permit you to leave your country.These may include:
    • legal agreements asking you to return to your country at a specific age
    • requirement to return to your country at the end of your schooling
    • requirement to return to your country for military service
    • financial disclosures
    • educational agreements

To enter the United States:

Obtain an I-20 form. This is called a Certificate of Eligibility. After you have been accepted to Husson University, you will receive an email requesting information in order to issue this document. Once you have provided all of the required documentation your I-20 will be sent to you by mail. Be certain that Husson has your accurate mailing address (P.O. boxes are not accepted)! 

Pay the SEVIS fee (I-901 fee). This is a $350.00 fee that all international students and exchange visitors must pay which funds the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and SEVIS. This fee is separate from visa fees and school SEVIS administration fees. Paying the I-901 is required before you can schedule a visa interview. This fee can be paid online at: Be sure to print a copy of your receipt. Keep this receipt as part of your permanent documentation and bring it with you to your visa interview and when you travel to Husson.

Make an appointment for a visa interview. Check online for the application fee.
Where: At your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consular Office:
When: Up to 120 days before the program start date on your I-20.  We recommend scheduling your appointment as soon as possible as there could be significant wait times for an appointment.

What to bring:

  • Your Form I-20 for Husson University
  • Your passport with an expiration date no sooner than 6 months after you will enter the US.
  • A completed Application for Non-Immigrant Visa (form OF-156) and a photo.
  • A completed Declaration of Finances and Proof of Support and/or affidavit to verify your financial status.
  • Proof that you have the financial support to pay in advance for an entire year of study (including proof of any scholarships, grants, and bank statements).
  • Proof that you have paid the SEVIS (I-901) fee (your receipt).
  • Education documents: previous transcripts, diplomas, English competency assessments, your acceptance letter from Husson, and proof of good health.
  • Any additional documents such as proof of tuition deposit payment and proof of registration that show a commitment to your education at Husson.

It is a good idea to practice your English before your interview. You must demonstrate to the consul at the Embassy that your English is proficient enough to be successful in your program at Husson.

If you are denied your visa, please contact:

For more information

Phone and Email Address
Kimberly Odusami Kimberly Odusami
Director of International Initiatives
205A Wildey Communication Center
Husson University
1 College Circle
Bangor, Maine 04401