Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Students taking pictures on campus

Counseling Programs

Requirements for all Master of Science programs in Counseling and Human Relations

  • Completed graduate application form and fees. Click here to visit the graduate application page.
  • Three Letters of Recommendation from persons in a position to judge the applicant's preparation for, and ability to undertake, graduate study.
  • Baccalaureate or advanced degree with minimum 3.0 GPA. If applicants have not earned at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in their undergraduate programs, they must submit a minimum score of 402 on the Miller Analogies Test or a minimum of 300 (V+Q) on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination prior to the interview. Scores below the above criteria may be considered individually.
  • B.A. or B.S. from an accredited institution of higher learning; 3.0 overall grade-point average or better recommended (see below).
  • Immunization Records
  • Applicant interview
An applicant's admission status is one of the following:
Regular. Students whose applications are complete and who are accepted by the Graduate Admissions Committee without condition are admitted as regular graduate students.
Conditional. In reviewing a candidate's application, the Graduate Admissions Committee may recommend that a student be accepted on a conditional basis. The letter of acceptance will contain the conditions that must be met before the student can be reclassified for regular status.
Non-degree. This status is assigned to those students who are taking graduate courses, but whose applications are not yet complete. Students who are awaiting the GMAT could be enrolled in this category. Admission as a non-degree student does not necessarily mean that the student will be accepted as a regular student when and if application is made for such status. No more than 6 hours in non-degree status may be applied toward the master's degree. Admission to non-degree status requires the submission of official undergraduate transcripts.

Transfer Credit
Normally, six credits of appropriate graduate-level course work, earned within five years of entry into the Husson program, may be transferred from an accredited institution, if the grades earned in such course work are "B" or better.

In special circumstances, an individual who has begun a graduate management program at another accredited institution may transfer up to nine credits from that program if those credits have been earned within five years of the date of entry to the Husson program.

Likewise, an individual who relocates out of the area may, with prior approval of the Graduate Dean, transfer back to the Husson program up to nine credits of graduate-level course work from an accredited institution in order to complete the requirements for the Master of Business Administration degree. Only credits earned in course work completed with a grade of "B" or better will be eligible for transfer.

No credits used to earn another degree can be applied in transfer to the Husson Master of Business Administration Program.

International Students
International applicants must submit all application credentials as listed above. If the documents are not in English, they must be translated by a reputable English translation service. Additional requirements are as follows:

All international transcripts must be evaluated by an evaluation service. Husson University will accept evaluations from all evaluation services that retain membership in the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Non-native English speakers must submit a test of English Proficiency. Husson University will accept one of the following:

1. Test satisfactory on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Test of Written English (TWE) scores of 5 strongly recommended and
550 Paper Based Test Score (CBT) or
213 Computer Based Test Score (CBT),or
80 Internet Based Test Score (IBT).

2. Minimum score of 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Program specific requirements

Click here to learn more about the Graduate Counseling and Human Relations programs.

Husson University's Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling graduate programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

Phone and Email Address
Graduate Admissions

130 Peabody Hall
Husson University
1 College Circle
Bangor, Maine 04401