Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Students walking on campus of Husson University

Disability Services FAQ's


Q: If my parents send my records from high school to the Admissions Office is that enough for me to receive accommodations in college?
A: No. Students must actually request accommodations to initiate the process. While Admissions will usually forward your records to the Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services-OASIS, if you don't meet with a Student Success Advisor to request accommodations, you will not receive accommodations.

Q: What is "appropriate documentation?"

A: Documentation must come from a qualified individual (usually a doctor, psychologist or your school's Special Education department). It must identify both your diagnosed disability and the functional limitations of your disability in an academic setting. Documentation must be from within the last three years.

Q: What is an example of a "reasonable accommodation?"
A: Disability Services will review your documentation to understand what functions are limited by your disability. They will then determine what accommodations are necessary to compensate for the limitation in order for you to have equal access to an education.

Q: Will I receive the same accommodations that I did in high school?
A: Accommodations often do not match those provided in public schools as the responsibilities of institutions of higher education fall under different guidelines (Americans with Disabilities Act as amended in 2008, 29 U.S.C. 794 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973). Colleges have the responsibility of providing all students with equal access to an education. However, at the college level course requirements are not adjusted, and there is no guarantee of success.

Q: What can I do as a parent to help my son or daughter successfully navigate their college years?
A: Of first importance is to help them become self-advocates. Make sure they have appropriate documentation for their disability and can explain what their disability is. They should understand what the functional limitation of their disability is and be ready to share what accommodations helped them to be successful in high school. You may also encourage them to access appropriate University resources (tutors, advisors, professors, Academic Services, Career Services, Counseling Services).

Q: Will my son or daughter be successful in college?
A: Research shows that while students with disabilities often work very hard, they also succeed at a high rate. Many students with disabilities have developed strong work ethics, and this willingness to work to accomplish their goals is a winning strategy for college success.