Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Students walking on campus of Husson University

Graduate Policies

Graduate Program Policies and Information

Husson University offers programs in business, clinical mental health counseling, criminal justice administration, human relations, nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, and school counseling, through which students can attain a Masters Degree or First Professional Doctorate. These graduate programs are designed for students who already hold a baccalaureate degree. While the following sections provide general criteria and standards, the program webpages relate information that is applicable to those areas of study.

Academic Standards

Admission to a graduate program is a student's permission to attempt graduate-level work at Husson University. Admission does not imply that Husson University guarantees that a student will necessarily graduate. Once admitted, it is up to the student to demonstrate ability to do graduate work. Those students who do not demonstrate this ability will be dismissed. In order to more fully understand the standards expected of students at the graduate level, please refer to the specific program of study.

Synchronous Sessions Policy for Asynchronous Courses

All instruction in asynchronous courses and programs is delivered online with no required in-person activities. Certain exceptions exist for practicum requirements for clinical programs such as may be found in the health care disciplines. Although the majority of online instructions will be asynchronous, some courses may involve synchronous interactivity-including real-time events, guest lectures, panel discussions, simulations, student group work, consultations, or meetings. Synchronous sessions will meet accessibility and Universal Design for Learning (UDL).

Online synchronous sessions are those for which students and instructors are engaged in simultaneous electronic communication with each other. When a synchronous session is scheduled, faculty must record the session or provide a suitable alternative for students whose schedules prevent them from participating at that time. Any recording should be made available for at least two weeks after the session for any student who is not able to attend. Instructors are required to provide adequate notice of all synchronous sessions and to indicate to the means by which information will be available for those unable to participate.

Dual/Second Master's Degree

If the graduate program allows, a student who seeks a second or additional graduate (Master's) degree must meet admissions requirements, complete a minimum of 15 additional credit hours at Husson University beyond the requirements for the first graduate (Master's) degree and must complete all required courses for the second graduate (Master's) degree.

Grading System

The system of evaluating a student's performance in the graduate program is by letter grade. Grade-point values are the same as those for undergraduate programs with the exception that a student cannot receive a passing grade below a C.

Grading System
Letter Grade (Grade-Point Average (Quality Points) Numeric Grade
A 4.0 12.0 95-100
A- 3.7 11.1 90-94
B+ 3.3 9.9 87-89
B 3.0 9.0 83-86
B- 2.7 8.1 80-82
C+ 2.3 6.9 77-79
C 2.0 6.0 73-76
C- 1.7 5.1 70-72
D+ 1.3 3.9 67-69
D 1.0 3.0 63-66
D- 0.7 2.1 60-62
F 0.0 0.0 Below 60

+P C level work or higher. Passed
+++NG No Grade Submitted (temporary grade)
*WW Withdrawal up to Midterm
+PW Withdrew Passing
FW Withdrew Failing
+E Exited without withdrawing
X Credit Denied Because of Excessive Absences
+WA Administrative Withdrawal
+++l Incomplete (temporary grade)
++AU Audit, no credit earned
+L Student enrolled but never attended course, no withdrawal on file.
+ Grade does not affect GPA
++ Audit Courses: Students who wish to audit a course (enroll for noncredit) must follow the usual registration procedure.
+++ A temporary grade (I & NG), if not converted to a final grade, becomes an F at the mid point of the following term or semester.

Tuition and Fees

A graduation fee of $150 covers the following items: diploma, announcements, and cap and gown. The fee is payable at the time the student petitions for graduation and is due regardless of whether a student attends the graduation ceremony. The petition for graduation also initiates a final check of the student's file to ensure that all requirements have been met and all official transcripts and other documents are on file.

Students can obtain up to 5 copies of their transcript at one time at no charge. A charge of $3.00 is assessed for each transcript over 10 and a fee of $5.00 is assessed for same day service. Transcript requests must be approved by the Student Accounts Office prior to issuance of the transcript.

The Board of Trustees reserves the right with reasonable notice to adjust tuition and fees in accordance with changing costs of operation.

Refund Policy

Students are enrolled for the entire semester, not for a period of attendance. Paying fees in installments does not result in a fractional contract. A student who withdraws from school prior to the completion of his/her program of study, either during a semester or between semesters, must file an official form of withdrawal with the Registrar’s Office.

Tuition refund credits are computed from the official date of withdrawal. Nonattendance of classes does not constitute an official withdrawal. Full tuition credits will be given for individual course withdrawals during the standard add/drop period each term. For individual course withdrawals after the standard add/drop period, tuition and fees will not be adjusted.

Students who are academically or administratively dismissed will receive a refund in accordance with the refund policy below.

Financial aid will be proportionately charged back in accordance with government regulations.

For program withdrawals during the regular academic year or for terms that are 15 or 12 weeks in length, refund credits will be prorated on the balance of tuition and other charges, after deducting the tuition deposit and other nonrefundable fees, using the following schedule:

Refund Credit Schedule
15 or 12 Week Term
During the First Week 100%
During the Second Week 85%
During the Third Week 70%
During the Fourth Week 55%
During the Fifth Week 40%
During the Sixth Week 25%
After the Sixth Week 0%

Terms of different lengths will have different prorated refund schedules.

Summer Session withdrawals will be prorated using the following schedule:
Withdrawal Date Refund Percentage
Withdrawal on or before the number of days equal to the number of weeks a class is scheduled.
(For example, for a six week course, a refund will be granted through the sixth day.)
After the number of days equal to the number of weeks a class is scheduled. 0%


A student who withdraws must file a withdrawal notice in writing with the Registrar's Office. Refund credits will be computed from the date that official notice is received in the Registrar's Office. Students wishing to withdraw should first consult with administrative staff in their respective Graduate Programs. Please note, nonattendance of classes does not constitute an official withdrawal. Laboratory and application fees are not refundable.

Academic Probation

(for the Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in Criminal Justice Administration)
Academic Probation signifies that a student is in jeopardy of not progressing toward graduation from the graduate program. A student whose cumulative GPA in the graduate program falls below a 3.0 will be placed on Academic Probation. Students on probation must remove grade deficiencies during the subsequent semester or during summer session when the course or courses where the grade deficiencies have occurred are next offered. Failure to do so may result in academic dismissal from the University. Students on probation may receive other conditions from the Graduate Academic Program Committee under which they may continue in the program.

Financial Aid

The Federal Stafford Loan Program is available for students admitted to and enrolled in the graduate program. Also available are Graduate Plus Loans. Grad Plus eligibility is based on the applicant not having an adverse credit history. These loans are administered through Husson University's financial aid office. To become eligible, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Alternative Loan information is also available. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.


Federal Nurse Traineeship Grants may be available to full-time students in the M.S. in Nursing Program. Please contact the M.S. in Nursing Program Director for further information.


A limited number of spaces may be available in the residence halls during the academic year. Students who attend only during the summer sessions may be accommodated in a residence hall.

Off-campus rooms and apartments are available in Bangor and the surrounding communities. Living accommodations are scarce, however, so the student is advised to arrange for housing in advance of initial enrollment. All inquiries about residence hall spaces should be sent to the Dean of Student Affairs.