1. To show others you did the work.
2. To credit those who did the research before you.
3. To resolve contradictions, should other sources come to light.
4. To guide others in their research, since there are researchers who will come after you.
5. Because you'll never be taken seriously as a researcher if you don't!
Go to: Examples for APA, MLA, and AMA formatted research papers, long and short quotations (in-text citations), and sample references. There are also links to instructional videos on formatting a research paper.