- What is the Annual Husson Fund?
- Where exactly do Annual Fund dollars go?
- Can I designate my gift to something specific on campus?
- Why is annual giving, in particular, so important?
- What ways can I give to Husson?
- What is the difference between an annual gift and a capital or endowment gift?
- What is the Chesley Husson Sr. Society?
- Which method is best for you?
- How can I make a gift to the Annual Fund?
- What is Husson's fiscal year?
- What are Husson's gift club levels?
- What are the tax benefits of giving to Husson?
Husson's Annual Fund is the most popular way that alumni, parents and friends support Husson. Gifts made to the Annual Fund provide "budget relieving" support to some of the most important areas on campus including financial aid, academic support, athletic programs and student activities. Annual fund gifts are expended in the same fiscal year in which they are received.
Unless otherwise designated, Alumni gifts help support the Husson students who receive some form of need-based financial aid. Gifts from parents also help enrich the Husson experience by providing extra support to campus programs, clubs and teams.
Although the University prefers to receive unrestricted gifts that can be applied to the most important budgetary needs, some donors prefer to specify the use of their gift. There are many programs, clubs and teams to which you can designate your gift, including any academic department, scholarship, varsity or sports team and others.
Making an annual gift every year makes a statement to corporations and foundations, and college ranking publications that you believe in Husson University's mission and support the unique education experience that it provides. Your annual gift provides vital support to immediate operating budget of Husson and helps to ensure that many of the departments, programs, teams and institutes get the funds they need to provide a college experience of the highest quality while maintaining a balanced budget. It would take substantially more endowment funds to provide what Husson receives through its Annual Fund programs.
You can make a gift with cash, credit card, matching gifts, in-kind, bequests, life insurance policy, stocks and real estate. In-kind Gifts received by Husson have consisted of computers, automobiles, office supplies and furniture and other helpful gifts. Contact the development office to discuss in-kind gifts that would be particularly useful to the college.
Annual gifts are raised each year from alumni, parents and friends of Husson and spent within the same fiscal year. Annual gifts help provide funds to many of the programs and priorities on campus that do not receive regular designated support including financial aid, classroom and athletic equipment, and experience enriching programs around campus.
A capital gift is normally a larger, one-time gift or pledge that goes toward projects such as new buildings, endowing funds for new scholarships or increasing the general endowment.
The Chesley Husson Sr. Society is made up of people who participate in the Planned Giving Program for Husson. In fact, if you have named Husson University in your will, named Husson in your insurance policy or have otherwise included our institution in your estate plans, you are a member. If you have not yet notified us of your bequest please contact our Development Office today to inform us of your decision and to sign a declaration of intent. The declaration of intent is non-binding and creates no legal obligation to your or your estate.
Society members enjoy benefits which include:
- All members who enroll will be listed as charter members and designated members in all future publications and information distributed regarding the Society and its mission.
- A special plaque with the names of all the Society charter members will be displayed on campus in a prominent place
- The Chesley H. Husson Sr. Society Newsletter
- An Annual dinner hosted by the University President
By becoming a member of the Chesley H. Husson, Sr. Society you are demonstrating your intent to ensure Husson's future educational excellence and the vital educational opportunity we offer deserving students.
You may choose any of the following opportunities to secure Society membership:
- Make a bequest through a will or trust
- Name Husson University as beneficiary of a life insurance policy, a pension plan or a bank account
- Name Husson University as a beneficiary of a charitable lead trust.
- Make a life income gift, securing a guaranteed life income for yourself, and designated beneficiary if desired, by establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity or creating a Charitable Remainder Trust.
There is a variety of ways to give to Husson University including:
- Make your gift online, here
- Call 1-800-726-7073 to make your gift over the phone
- Fall & Spring Phonathons from our students through the Development Office
- Mail your gift to:
1 College Circle
Bangor, ME 04401
Husson's fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30.
Husson University has established seven gift club levels to recognize donors to the University. Matching gifts will count toward your gift club level, so a gift of $750 with a 1:1 match of $750 would place the donor in the $1,500 Patron Society.
The 1898 Society recognizes major donors to Husson University. These giving societies recognize individuals, corporations, foundations and organizations whose lifetime cumulative gifts have reached $100,000 or more.
|College Circle Society
|Commerce Hall Society
|Bass Park Society
|Green & Gold Society
The Green & Gold Society recognizes donors who have made a gift within the current fiscal year, which runs from July 1st through June 30th. The gifts may be unrestricted or designated to a capital project or the endowment fund.
|21st Century Council|
12. What are the tax benefits of giving to Husson?
All gifts to the Annual Fund are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Husson is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501c3 tax-exempt organization. Husson issues gift receipts for each gift.
There are additional tax benefits to making gifts of appreciated stock or setting up annuities and trusts with Husson. Please contact an Annual Fund Officer if you have any questions on these types of gifts.
What are matching gifts and how can I make sure my gift is matched?
Many employers will match gifts made by their employers, retirees and directors to non-profit organizations; some even offer a higher 1 to 1 match. To see if your company offers matching or to get a matching gift form, you may contact your company's human resources department. By spending a few short minutes filling out a simple form, you can often double the power of your gift.
For more information, contact:
|Name||Phone and Email||Address|
Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Advancement
|Office: (207) 404-5639
Cell: (207) 991-7510
|Beardsley Meeting House
1 College Circle
Bangor, ME 04401