1. How does my student contact Career Services?
Students are welcome to stop by between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm, we are located in 203 Peabody Hall on Husson University's Bangor Campus. You may contact the director of career services James Westhoff by phone at (207) 992-4909 or by email at email@example.com.
2. What can I do to help my student with his/her career development during their time here at Husson?
The best approach you can take as a parent is to communicate and listen to your student. Encourage them to explore their options and use the resources available in Career Services and on our website. It is our hope that students will begin using our office as soon as they arrive on campus as outlined in our 4 year plan. We advise reviewing the 4 year plan with your student and have them make an appointment with our office.
3. Can a career test, assessment or career counselor tell my student what major or career he or she should pursue? A student's career decision can take time and lots of exploration. Career assessments and a career counselor can help get that process started and help the student clarify their interests, values, and skills. Not knowing is okay, we are here to help each student explore their options and encourage them to discuss assessment results to determine where their next step may lead. We also help students connect with professionals in their fields of interest to learn more.
4. What services are available if my student is having a hard time selecting a major?
Career assessments can be taken on the computer or in written form and then reviewed with a counselor to help your student understand the results. These assessments match personality traits of each student and pair them with occupational tasks that are completed in a variety of jobs. We can also sit down with your student and explore and research job titles for possible majors. A major such as healthcare studies has a lot of options, we are here to help inform students of the wide range of possibilities that can be obtained through a degree at Husson.
5. My student came to Husson to pursue a degree in biology. What if he or she doesn't like it?
Declaring a major is a big decision, and certainly one that is not set in stone. One way to learn whether or not a student is interested in a particular major is to try it. Many students change their major at least once during their time here and that is okay. We encourage students to make informed decisions based on their experience, research and knowledge of how they like to work. It's also why we are here, to provide students with resources that guide their career direction.
6. Why would a student who has already declared a major need to use career services?
Selecting a major, though an immensely important step, is step number one. During your student's time here at Husson they will probably need a resume, cover letter, interviewing and networking skills, an internship, and help with the job search process. Those are all services we provide for students here in Career Services, not only are these services available to current students they are available for Alumni as well. We don't help you just get to graduation, we want to help you succeed beyond it. Our services are free to all Husson Graduates for life.
7. How important is it for my student to complete an internship before or immediately following graduation at Husson? Here at Husson there is a large focus on experiential education. We strongly encourage students to participant in an internship, in fact most majors here on campus require an internship and it is built right into the curriculum that way students get credit for completing it. An internship is a great way to see what a job is like in a hands on setting and make a few connections while you're at it!
8. Can I post a job/internship with Career Services? Absolutely, we welcome and appreciate support from parents. If you or your employer would like to recruit Husson students we encourage you to use the Husson Eagle Career Link located on the right hand side of our homepage. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or if you need help getting set up.
9. What assistance does Career Services provide for applying to graduate school? We can help students pursuing graduate school with researching programs that are best for their selected major, aid in the application process and conduct mock interviews to get your student ready for their next step.
10. Is Career Services open during the summer? Yes we are! Is your student taking a summer course or looking to work on their resume while on summer break? We are still here and willing to assist students with whatever their need may be during the summer. We also do phone or Skype appointments if students are at a distant site. Please feel free to stop by or make an appointment!
11. What is Career Services' role in finding students a job after graduation? We are here every step of the way. We can help students build a resume, practice their interviews and search for jobs in their field. Here at Husson we also work hard to bring many employers to campus to give our students an opportunity to network and get their name out there. We ask that you encourage your student to follow us on facebook and twitter to keep an eye out for career fairs and workshops that may be taking place on campus. The Husson Eagle Career link is kept up to date with new job postings coming in daily, we recommend every student should create an account and check it regularly. Other questions? Stop By! We are more than willing to aid students in any way we know how, we work hard to meet the needs of all students and hope to aid in the success of all Husson graduates.