Assistant Professor, School of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor, School of Science and Humanities
Associate Professor, School of Science and Humanities
Founding Dean, School of Pharmacy
Professor *Administrator w/faculty rank, School of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor , Nutrition
Dr. Li’s research endeavors center around several critical aspects of phytochmicals with health benefits, particularly cancer chemopreventive properties, using interdisciplinary approaches. Her current research interests include:
1. Discovery of phytochemicals targeting cancer and cancer stem cells (CSCs) and efficacy evaluation in combination with cancer therapy.
2. Human observational and intervention studies to evaluate the effectiveness of nutrition education programs in local community.
3. Development of phytochemical-enriched dietary supplements and functional foods.
1. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang. Targeting of cancer stem cells by curcumin and clinical applications. Cancer Letters, 2014; 346(2): 197-205.
2. Yanyan Li, Katlyn M. Soriano. African American females: a potential link between vitamin D insufficiency and type-2 diabetes. Journal of Nutritional Health & Food Engineering, 2014; 1(3): 00015.
3. Yanyan Li, Haiyan Su, John J. Specchio, John P. Schrade, Samuel Chung, and Mandy Unanski. Utilization of steam heat generated via microwave energy in seafood cooking. Journal of Nutritional Health & Food Engineering, 2014; 1(1): 00003.
4. Yanyan Li, Haiyan Su, John P. Schrade, and John J. Specchio. Transportation of perishable foods in insulated containers: a time-temperature study. Journal of Food Protection. 2014; 77(8): 1317-24.
5. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang, Xiaoqin Li, Peng Zou, Duxin Sun, and Steven J. Schwartz. Kinetics of sulforaphane in mice after consumption of sulforaphane-enriched broccoli sprout preparation. Mol Nutr Food Res, 2013; 57(12): 2128-36.
6. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang. Targeting cancer stem cells by sulforaphane, a dietary component from broccoli and broccoli sprouts. Future Oncol, 2013; 9(8): 1097-103.
7. Tao Zhang, Yanyan Li, Peng Zou, Jing-yu Yu, Donna McEachern, David D’Argenio, Shaomeng Wang, and Duxin Sun. Physiologically based pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics modeling of an antagonist (SM-406/AT-406) of multiple inhibitor of apoptosis proteins (IAPs) in a mouse xenograft model of human breast cancer. Biopharm Drug Dispos, 2013; 34(6): 348-59.
8. Yanyan Li, G. Elif Karagoz, Young Ho Seo, Tao Zhang, Yiqun Jiang, Yanke Yu, Steven J. Schwartz, Kate Carroll, Stefan Rudiger, and Duxin Sun. Sulforaphane inhibits pancreatic cancer through disrupting Hsp90-p50Cdc37 complex and direct interactions with amino acid residues of Hsp90. J Nutr Biochem, 2012; 23(12): 1617-26.
9. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang, Steven J. Schwartz, and Duxin Sun. Sulforaphane potentiates the therapeutic efficacy of 17-AAG against pancreatic cancer by enhancing 17-AAG-induced abrogation of Hsp90 chaperone function. Nutr Cancer, 2011; 63(7): 1151-9.
10. Yanyan Li, Max S. Wicha, Steven J. Schwartz, and Duxin Sun. Implications of cancer stem cell theory for cancer chemoprevention by natural dietary compounds. J Nutr Biochem, 2011; 22(9): 799-806.
11. Yanyan Li, Steven J. Schwartz, and Duxin Sun. Book chapter: Potential application of natural dietary components to target cancer stem cells, in “Cancer Stem Cells – The Cutting Edge”, Stanley Shostak, Editor, InTech Publishing, August 2011. ISBN 978-953-307-580-8.
12. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang, Hasan Korkaya, Suling Liu, Hsiu-Fang Lee, Bryan Newman, Yanke Yu, Shawn G. Clouthier, Steven J. Schwartz, Max S. Wicha, and Duxin Sun. Sulforaphane, a dietary component of broccoli/broccoli sprouts, inhibits breast cancer stem cells. Clin Cancer Res, 2010; 16(9): 2580-90.
13. Tao Zhang, Yanyan Li, Zhenkun Zhu, Mancang Gu, Bryan Newman, and Duxin Sun. MEK inhibition potentiates the activity of Hsp90 inhibitor 17-AAG against pancreatic cancer cells. Mol Pharm, 2010; 7(5): 1576-84.
14. Yiqun Jiang, Denzil Bernard, Yanke Yu, Tao Zhang, Yanyan Li, Shaomeng Wang, Xueqi Fu, and Duxin Sun. Split renilla luciferase protein-fragment-assisted complementation (SRL-PFAC) to characterize Hsp90/p50Cdc37 complex and identify critical residues in protein-protein interactions. J Biol Chem, 2010; 285(27): 21023-36.
15. Yanke Yu, Adel Hamza, Tao Zhang, Mancang Gu, Peng Zou, Bryan Newman, Yanyan Li, A.A. Leslie Gunatilaka, Chang-Guo Zhan, and Duxin Sun. Withaferin A targets heat shock protein 90 in pancreatic cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 2010; 79(4): 542-51.
16. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang, Yiqun Jiang, Hsiu-Fang Lee, Steven J. Schwartz, and Duxin Sun. (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits Hsp90 function by impairing Hsp90 association with co-chaperones in pancreatic cancer cell line Mia Paca-2. Mol Pharm, 2009; 6(4): 1152-9.
17. Yanyan Li, Tao Zhang, Steven J. Schwartz, and Duxin Sun. New developments in Hsp90 inhibitors as anti-cancer therapeutics: mechanisms, clinical perspective and more potential. Drug Resist Updates, 2009; 12(1): 17-27.
18. Tao Zhang, Yanyan Li, Yanke Yu, Peng Zou, Yiqun Jiang, and Duxin Sun. Characterization of celastrol to inhibit Hsp90 and p50Cdc37 interaction. J Biol Chem, 2009; 284(51): 35381-9.
Chair, Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy
Professor, School of Pharmacy
Audio Instructor, NESCOM, NESCOM
Assistant Professor, School of Science and Humanities