The Internship Experience in Criminal Justice
The Husson University Criminal Justice Program internship involves both didactic and practical work experience that meets the needs of students both academically and professionally as they prepare for graduation and vocational pathways. Interns work closely with practitioners in the Criminal Justice field, gaining valuable experience while also earning college credit. A minimum of 120 hours must be accrued during a semester for undergraduate students and 150 hours for graduate students to obtain three credits. Further credit hours may be obtained with specific approval. Our goal is to place you in an organization with practitioners in the field who can provide learning experiences and supervision, and where you can contribute. The Criminal Justice department will assist you in locating quality internships.
An internship is an educational endeavor and its primary outcomes build your intellectual and personal capabilities. The goals of the internship program are to:
- Provide students with the opportunity to apply classroom learning in an integrated context.
- Help students learn how to learn from experience and reflection.
- Enhance students' professional skills and help them to develop professional skills such as a strong work ethic and realistic, practical work experience in the context of their chosen profession.
- Provide specialized learning, where appropriate.
Following is a sample listing of places where Husson Criminal Justice students have gone for their internship experiences within the last several years.
- Aroostook County Jail
- Attleboro, MA PD
- Attorney General's Office (Augusta)
- Bangor Police Department
- Brewer Police Department
- Bureau of Liquor Enforcement
- Cumberland County Jail
- FBI Academy, Quantico, VA
- Fryeburg Police Department
- Hancock County Jail
- Hancock County Dispatch
- Hancock Regional Communication Center - Dispatch
- Holden PD
- Husson University Safety and Security
- ICE - Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Bangor)
- Kennebunkport Police Department
- Maine Juvenile Probation (Graduate student)
- Maine Pretrial Services, Inc. - York County
- Maine Probation and Parole Region III (Augusta)
- Maine State Police
- New England Investigation Services
- Old Orchard Beach Police and Fire Depts. Dispatch
- Old Town Police Department
- Oxford County Sheriff's Office
- Penobscot County District Attorney's Office
- Penobscot County Sheriff's Office
- Penobscot County Jail
- Probation and Parole Region IV (Bangor)
- Project Atrium
- Sanford Police Department
- Scarborough Police Department (Graduate student)
- Seaboard Security
- Sweetser School (Belfast)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Probation Office
- Volunteers of America (pre-release monitoring)
- York County Sheriff's Office